Professional Finance and Mortgage Advice

Property Development

Property development finance is a short-term loan for residential property developments, such as construction projects, and is usually advanced as a loan towards land purchase and a loan in stage payments for development costs in converting a property into flats or Houses in multiple occupation (HMO).

The Financial Conduct Authority does not regulate some types of commercial finance.

What is a “house in multiple occupation”?

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from one household (for example a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. It's sometimes called a 'house share'.

If you want to rent out your property as a house in multiple occupation in England or Wales you must contact your council to check if you need a licence.

How we can help

Development funding without full planning consent can be difficult to secure, unless you are highly experienced and have completed a number of development projects. Before seeking finance it is important to have planning consents and all relevant documentation available to show your lender.

A property development loan is usually arranged on an interest only basis and the term of the loan would typically be 6 to 18 months but will depend on the size and nature of the project.

Commercial Expert Ltd have access to the whole market and work with a panel of specialist property development lenders in order to find the right match and negotiate the best rate for each deal.

Your application will be priced on the strength of the development proposition, having years of experience in this field we understand what information should be presented in your application.