Probate & Executor Support
Probate (known as â€śConfirmationâ€ť in Scotland) is the estate administration process that takes place after a loved one has passed away.
It is often the role of a family member to administer the estate of the deceased as â€śExecutorâ€ť, but without professional guidance probate can be a daunting task, especially when loved ones are still grieving.
This is where Kintail can helpCall 01463 232 100
Our Estate Administration service can provide:
- Sensitive, flexible and affordable service
- Delivered Locally by a qualified Executry professional
- Home, work or office visits, day or evening.
- Client-centred and customer-service driven ethos.
- Expertise from a national professional Legal Services firm
- Fixed fee options
Estate Administration and Probate services are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
How we help you as the Family Executor
- Arrange an initial meeting with Ken Macrae, an Associate of APS Legal and Associates Ltd, part of Fintel. APS Legal & Associates provide estate administration services under the trading name of Assured Probate Services, specialising in these services across Scotland, England and Wales.
- At the initial meeting, bring the basic information relating to the estate.
- Receive a quotation based upon the work required to administer the estate, not a flat percentage of the estate value but a quotation tailored to the work content involved in administering the estate.
- Accept the quote.
- At a second meeting, provide more detailed estate information including the following documentation:
Original Death Certificate
Signed Terms of Business
Signed Quote Acceptance form
ID for executors
Any documentation relating to the estate (shareholdings, bank account details etc)
- Ken will then work with Assured Probate Services to begin administration of
estate. This can be broken down into the following main steps (though please note that each estate will have its own unique requirements depending upon its arrangement and the terms contained within the Will):
Obtain probate values for estate assets
Obtain any property or other required valuations
Calculate and pay Inheritance tax (if applicable)
Apply for Certificate of Confirmation at the Sheriff Court
Register the Will with the Books of Council and Session
Receive Certificate of Confirmation
Place Trustee Act notices
Pay Will legacies
Finalise estate accounts
Executors sign off the estate accounts/APS distribute estate accounts to residuary beneficiaries if we are acting as sole executors
Distribute remaining estate assets according to Will
Note that HMRC require Inheritance Tax liabilities to be settled before executors acquire the Certificate of Confirmation. In some circumstances, this will require executors to arrange to pay Inheritance Tax before they are able to access estate monies.
You will be kept updated on the progress of the estate locally by Ken or through a named contact with Assured Probate Services.
Please note that administration of an estate can be a lengthy and time- consuming process: it is not unusual for a simple estate to take 6-9 months to administer and for taxable estates to take 12-24 to fully administer.
- Once the estate is distributed, Assured Probate Services return all documentation provided by you at the second meeting.
- Assured Probate Services close down case file and retains this in storage for our records.
Our Director Ken Macrae is an Associate of APS Legal and Associates Ltd, part of Fintel. APS Legal & Associates provide estate administration services under the trading name of Assured Probate Services, specialising in these services across Scotland, England and Wales.
Ken is also qualified to Affiliate level with the Society of Trust & Executry Practitioners (STEP)
STEP is the global professional association for practitioners who specialise in family inheritance and succession planning. Members are subject to an extensive Code of Professional Conduct, requiring them at all times to act with integrity and in a manner that inspires the confidence, respect and trust of their clients and of the wider community.
On behalf of APS Legal & Associates Ltd,
Head office: Worksop Turbine Innovation Centre, Shireoaks Triangle Business Park, Coach Close, Worksop, Nottinghamshire, S81 8AP
APS Legal & Associates is a member of the Institute of Professional Willwriters
APS Legal & Associates complies with the Trading Standards Institute Approved IPW Code of Practice